Search by keywords
Bulk search by ISBN
Walking on the Greek Islands - the Cyclades
Naxos and the 50km Naxos Strada, Paros, Amorgos, Santorini
- ISBN-13: 9781786310095
- Author: Cameron-Cooper, Gilly
- Price: AUD 34.99
- Stock: 0 in stock
- Availability: Book will be despatched upon release.
- Local release date: 15/08/2020
- Format: Paperback (172mm X 116mm) 256 pages Weight: 0g
- Categories: Walking, hiking, trekking [WSZC]Greece [1DVG]
- This guidebook offers 35 day walks across the four Cycladic islands of Paros, Naxos, Amorgos and Santorini. Best explored in spring and autumn, each island offers a unique walking experience and the walks range from easy 4km town tours to 16km hikes visiting remote peaks in wild interiors. This is the first guide to feature the new 50km Naxos Strada, which is introduced as a series of five day walks. The walks often follow traditional paved paths which have been used by locals for centuries and the guide offers a wealth of insights into the history, geology and wildlife of the areas travelled through. Dotted amongst rugged mountains and working farmland are historic sites dating back to the height of Ancient Greece and impressive rural monasteries. On the coast, white sand bays and dramatic cliffs frame the expansive blue Aegean sea. For each walk, this guide includes detailed route description and Anavasi mapping to aid navigation. It also contains information about getting to the Cyclades and island hopping, along with an English-Greek glossary of key words and phrases and an appendix full of useful contacts.
- Map key Overview map Introduction History Geology Vegetation and wildflowers Animal life Climate When to go Travel to the islands Travel around the islands Accommodation Eating and drinking Shopping and services What to take Using this guide Paros Walk 1 Parikia town to Cape Fokas Walk 2 Northwest coast to Kolimbithres Walk 3 Northwest peninsula eco-park Walk 4 Naousa port, inland to marble mines Walk 5 West-coast hills to Parikia Walk 6 Lefkes village and Byzantine Way Walk 7 South from Lefkes to Dryos port Walk 8 Southwest coast: Piso Livadi to Dryos Walk 9 Angeria mountain circular Naxos Walk 10 Naxos town tour Walk 11 Potamia villages and marble hills Walk 12 South coast to Demeter's Temple Walk 13 Rural byways below Profitis Ilias Walk 14 Wild lands around Apalirou Walk 15 Central villages and Fanari foothills Walk 16 Filoti village and Mount Zas Walk 17 Apiranthos to emery mines and port Walk 18 Koronos, mountain and east-coast bay Walk 19 Kynidaros, downriver to Engares The Naxos Strada Walk 20 Strada 1: Plaka to Kato Potamia Walk 21 Strada 2: Kato Potamia to Filoti Walk 22 Strada 3: Filoti to Apiranthos Walk 23 Strada 4: Apiranthos to Koronos Walk 24 Strada 5: Koronos to Apollonas Amorgos Walk 25 Egiali and mountain villages Walk 26 Remote north: monastery and mountains Walk 27 Along the island spine to Chora Walk 28 Inland capital to Katapola port Walk 29 Old routes inland to the capital Walk 30 Rollercoaster route: Katapola to Vroutsi Walk 31 Ancient Arkesini and southwest farms Santorini Walk 32 Caldera rim: Fira to Ammoudi Bay Walk 33 Ancient Akrotiri and southwest cape Walk 34 Villages and vineyards to Emborio Walk 35 Highest peak and Ancient Thira to Perissa Appendix A Route summary table Appendix B Useful Greek words and phrases Appendix C Bibliography Appendix D Useful contacts
- Google Preview content