Ordered chronologically, and global in scope, this book provides an account of modern architecture through the prism of 20 of the most influential houses built over the past century. By telling the stories of these houses, it offers a fascinating biography of some of the greatest modern architects.
John Pardey examines the ground-breaking ideas, sensitivity to detailing and materials in houses designed by the likes of Gerrit Rietveld, Le Corbusier, Adolf Loos, Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright, Giuseppe Terragni, Alvar Aalto, Charles and Ray Eames and Oscar Niemeyer, and seeks to discover what lessons they can still offer for architects practising today.
20/20 tells the story of the client, the architect, the house and the events around the construction of each dwelling during the turbulent 20th century. It offers readers a fascinating biography of great architects in which revelations are found in their most intimate projects.
1. 1924: Schröder House, Utrecht, Netherlands - Gerrit Rietveld
2. 1929: Villa Savoye, Poissy, France - Le Corbusier
3. 1930: Villa Müller, Prague, Czech Republic - Adolf Loos
4. 1930: Tugendhat House, Brno, Czech Republic - Mies van Der Rohe
5. 1932 Dalsace House (Maison de Verre), Paris, France - Pierre Chareau
6. 1937: Fallingwater, Bear Run, Philadelphia, USA - Frank Lloyd Wright
7. 1937: Villa Bianca, Seveso, Italy - Giuseppe Terragni
8. 1939: Villa Mairea, Noormarkku, Finland - Alvar Aalto
9. 1946: Desert House, Palm Springs, California, USA - Richard Neutra
10. 1949: Eames House, Pacific Palisades, California, USA - Charles and Ray Eames
11. 1951: Farnsworth House, Fox River, Illinois, USA - Mies van der Rohe
12. 1952: Utzon House, Hellebæk, Denmark - Jørn Utzon
13. 1953: Niemeyer House (Casa das Canoas), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Oscar Niemeyer
14. 1956: Maisons Jaoul, Paris, France - Le Corbusier
15. 1960: Stahl House (case study house 22), Los Angeles, California, USA - Pierre Koenig
16. 1965: Gwathmey House, Amagansett, New York, USA - Charles Gwathmay
17. 1967: Fisher House, Hatboro, Philadelphia, USA - Louis Kahn
18. 1968: San Christobal, Mexico City, Mexico - Luis Barragán
19. 1972: Can Lis, Majorca - Jørn Utzon
20. 1975: Marie Short House, Kempsey, Australia - Glenn Murcutt