Woodslane Online Catalogues
War In The Air
The Second World War in Colour
- Allied victory in the Second World War owed much to air power. The success of military and naval operations invariably hinged on control of the skies, and the rise to dominance of the Allied air forces meant that the Nazi war machine was effectively doomed. Following the success of The Second World War in Colour, this book presents a further selection of original colour photographs from the IWM collection, focusing on Allied aircraft and airmen. Alongside these striking images, War in the Air examines how crucial aviation was to winning the war, from the defence of Britain's skies and maritime trade, to battlefield support in North Africa and Europe and the strategic bombing offensive over Germany. Shot from the ground and from the air, these powerful images bring a vital aspect of the Second World War to life.
- Ian Carter is Senior Curator at Imperial War Museums. He is the author of the bestselling IWM book The Second World War in Colour (2017).
- * Features a selection of rare, original colour photographs from the IWM collection.
* Powerful colour images bring the Second World War to life.
* Tells the story of how allied air forces were crucial to winning the war.
Google Preview content