To promote safe practice, nursing schools test for basic arithmetic both at interview stage and during the 3 years of nurse training. How to Master Nursing Calculations Australia & New Zealand Edition will help you to cope with these tests, offering a step-by-step approach which will take you from base-level knowledge to competency both in drug calculations and the ability to read drug dosage charts. The book begins with a helpful diagnostic section which will help you to identify your strengths and weaknesses, before going on to cover basic numeracy. It goes on to deal with drug dosage calculations and prescription awareness questions at both basic and more advanced levels. You are therefore able to take a measured and progressive approach to your learning. It features clear illustrations showing how to read instrument scales, medical admin records and pharmaceutical labels. Combining drug dosage charts, a chapter on drug administration (including a list of abbreviations and their meanings), mock tests with answers and full explanations, How to Master Nursing Calculations Australia & New Zealand Edition will be an essential asset during your years as a trainee nurse - and beyond.
Chris Tyreman BN is a nurse with the NHS trust. He has taught numeracy to adults via distance learning and evening classes.
Dr Patricia Farrar is a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS). With more than 40 years experience as a registered nurse and nurse educator, Dr Farrar has qualifications in education, Coronary care and cario-thoracic nursing. She is also engaged in clinical practice in a private surgical hospital.
Introduction: Basic maths self-assessment test
1. Basic Arithmetic Skills: How to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers; Sequence of operations (BoDMAS); Factors and multiples; Chapter 1 questions
2. Fractions and Decimals: Introduction to fractions; Cancelling (equivalent fractions); How to add and subtract fractions; How to multiply and divide fractions; Improper fractions; Mixed fractions; Multiplication and division of fractions by whole numbers; How to cross-cancel fractions; Introduction to decimals; Addition, subtraction, mltiplication and division and decimals; How to round decimal numbers; Conversion of decimals to fractions; Conversion of fractions to decimals; How to work out percentages; How to express numbers as percentages; Chapter 2 questions
3. Measurement: The metric system of measurement (SI units); Weight; Chossing the best units for your answer; Volume; Time; Reading instrument scales; Chapter 3 questions
4. Drug Dosage Calculations: Oral medication; Injections; Infusions, the gving set and drop rates; Concentration; Changing the infusion rate; Calculating the prescribed dose in infusions; Chapter 4 questions
5. Drug Administration: How to read medication charts; Abbreviations; Prescription awareness; Drug familiarity; Medication chart questions
6. Mock Tests: Introduction to the tests; Nursing numerical test; Nursing calculation mock test 1; Nursing calculation mock test 2; Nursing calculation mock test 3