Search by keywords
Bulk search by ISBN
Drums of Mer
- ISBN-13: 9781922384041
Imprint: ETT IMPRINT
- Author: Idriess, Ion
- Price: AUD 29.95
- Stock: 19 in stock
- Availability: Order will be despatched as soon as possible.
- Local release date: 05/03/2020
- Format: Paperback (230mm X 156mm) 250 pages Weight: 500g
- Categories: Humanities [H]History [HB]Regional & national history [HBJ]Australasian & Pacific history [HBJM]Oral history [HBTD]
Set in the Torres Strait in the mid-1850s, Idriess tells the story of the lives and mythologies of the local inhabitants, and the fate of shipwrecked Europeans.
Ion Idriess (1889—1979) is one of Australias best-loved writers, with fifty-six books to his credit and millions of copies sold. When he returned from the First World War he wrote The Desert Column, about his experiences with the 5th Light Horse. Prospecting for Gold was his first major successful work; it immediately sold out and was reprinted constantly in the following years, as were many of his books. Idriess spent much of his life travelling throughout Australia, collecting material for his true-life stories, including Flynn of the Inland, The Red Chief and Nemarluk. He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1968 for his contribution to Australian literature.
* First published in 1933, this book is accepted the oral history of the Torres Strait natives, with many pages of original photographs from the 1920s.
* Review copies, some ABC Radio to promote Australia-wide.
- Google Preview content