Woodslane Online Catalogues
- When Darren Hodge was a kid, a big, white, sleek ambulance squatted like a lion in the driveway next door, always ready to go, and sometimes it did, roaring down the street. Today, he is a MICA Flight Paramedic with decades of varied experience in ‘a life of extremes’ in an Australian ambulance service. He does shifts at base on-call, and teaches another generation of paramedics now. He loves his job. A list of well-known events that includes Victoria’s Black Saturday Fires and the 2005 Bali Bombing – he was trying to get married when that call came in – marks two dark extremes. Technical matters – trauma treatment decisions, and the limits of aviation, for example, are explained. And this book includes the little things like the time the supermarket aisle was alive with the sound of music from an ex-patient’s kid’s lips: ‘Thanks for looking after Daddy.’ Darren couldn’t have put it better himself, and it made his heart sing.
- Darren Hodge’s career in ambulance has been rich with opportunities. Only a few years had passed after qualifying as a paramedic and he was offered the opportunity to undertake intensive care training, known as MICA. He found the role at times challenging, but highly rewarding. Tenures at the different ambulance colleges unearthed a love of teaching that continues today and has spanned more than 25 years. Assisting paramedics to master their craft has been one of his most satisfying achievements. After 15 years as a paramedic he achieved his ultimate career goal after joining Air Ambulance, working on both fixed and rotary wing aircraft.
- * A bestselling title that continues to intrigue and impress readers, A Life on the Line is an evergreen title that pays tribute to those on the frontline, the essential workers who turn up when we need them the most, saving lives and inspiring us to do more for others.
* Essential health workers were front of mind for many during the COVID-19 crisis, both at home and overseas we saw stories of sacrifice and bravery. In this book you can read about one paramedic's career journey and the amazing true stories of heroism he's experienced.
* Readers will continue to seek out stories of local heroes or inspiring true stories as we continue to live with increasing unease in the world. A Life on the Line combines humorous anecdotes with thrilling recollections of some of Darren's most touching, memorable and dangerous call outs as a paramedic.
* Shared on Ambulance Victoria's Facebook page with over 70,000 followers, and Twitter page with over 58,000 followers.
* Featured in Take 5 Magazine.
* Consistently rated 5 stars across the board: Booktopia, Goodreads, Amazon, even the Paramedic Shop online is selling this and receiving rave reviews. Whoever reads it loves it!
Google Preview content