- Pa has a lot of great stories to tell, but his greatest story explains why he wears a red poppy. A story about Gallopoli, remembrance and why we say ‘Lest We Forget’.
- Rebecca Laing Zammit is a Primary School teacher with a love of history, especially Australian history and the stories of the ANZACs, thanks to her Great Grandfather Arthur Brown Laing who fought and survived World War I. Growing up on the Gold Coast, the dawn service at Currumbin became an annual tradition. She now loves to take her two daughters down to Currumbin beach on ANZAC day to commemorate and show their respects. A Poppy For Pa is Rebecca’s first children’s book, and is based on her own father Peter asking his Pa all about his time in Gallipoli. Rebecca wrote the book to give young children a bit more of an understanding and insight of what war was like for our diggers. Annelies Billeter is based in Melbourne and graduated with a Diploma of Illustration in 2002. After working in children's textile and clothing design for many years, her passion for illustrating children’s books was reignited through having her own two young children. She loves to depict people and family life and enjoys working in traditional watercolour as well as exploring digital mediums. Previously an honours graduate with BMUS Performance, viola, she is fortunate to be able to combine all her loves of music performance, teaching young children violin, and illustration.
- * Based on the author's family, giving it a personal and relatable feel.
* Moving, but told in a simple and comprehensible way for kids.
* Evocative artwork and text clearly explores the hardships but also the loving relationship between a grandparent and grandchild.
Google Preview content