Of all the uplifting sports stories that have captured the imagination of Australia as a nation, few have been greeted with such spontaneous and unanimous acclaim as tennis champion Ashleigh Barty. Her inspirational 2021 Wimbledon win delivered a celebration not seen since Cathy Freeman’s immortal Olympic triumph 21 years ago. This book covers her journey from knockabout kid from Queensland to world champion and explores her rare gift for the game, engaging personality, innate modesty and relentless determination to be the best. Barty’s mantra is that being a good human being is far more important than being a good tennis player, and it has been widely hailed as a lesson for all. In other words, she now transcends sport. Her unfolding, unfinished narrative has come to resonate with overtones of national pride and inspiration, community morale, cultural issues ancient and modern, the importance of family and friends, the regard for humility and grace over rampant ambition, the escalating battle for gender equality, and perspectives on fame and fortune.
In this new edition of the top seller, award-winning sports writer Ron Reed and journalist Chris McLeod pay tribute to the World No. 1 covering all her games and unforgettable moments.
Ron Reed’s 50-plus years in sports journalism include decades as a columnist and feature writer for Australia’s biggest-selling daily newspaper, the Herald Sun, as well as two stints as Sports Editor of that paper’s predecessor, The Herald, and one as Editor of the old Sporting Globe. His work has earned many awards and accolades, including Australian sportswriter of the year and a lifetime achievement award from Sport Australia, formerly the Australian Sports Commission. He has covered most of the world’s major sports events – many of them multiple times – in more than 30 countries, and is a tennis aficionado, having been a fixture at the Australian Open as well as many Davis Cup ties. He is the author of the only book ever written about the legendary Frank Sedgman, Game Sedge and Match, Barty: Power and Glory, and War Games.
Chris McLeod is a former newspaper journalist and executive. He is an author and researcher for floggerblogger.com with an interest in sport, transport and mystery. His bookazines include World’s Best Golf Courses, World’s Best Trains, Elite Special Forces and Unsolved – terror crimes and accidents.
* New edition of the top seller and the only book about Australian tennis champion and World No. 1 Ash Barty on the market.
* Up to date with all of Ash’s matches, ranking and tournaments up to the US Open in September 2021. Also includes her historic Wimbledon win and the Tokyo Olympics.
* Includes a new introduction, game statistics, the lost year before Wimbledon, a match-by-match look at her triumph at Wimbledon, the response to her win, her Olympics campaign, and more.
* Complete overview of Ash’s career from junior to World No.1 including her brief break from tennis to play cricket.
* Coverage in national newspapers and radio including ABC National, 3AW, SEN, Fox Sports, ESPN Australia, Inside Sport and more.
* Ron Reed Sportshound & Footy Almanac website – https://sportshounds.com.au/