Astronomy 2018 Australia
Your Guide to the Night Sky
- ISBN-13: 9780992440930
- Publisher/Imprint: QUASAR
- Author: Dawes, Glenn, Northfield, Peter and Wallace, Ken
- Price: AUD 29.95
- Stock: 48 in stock
- Availability: Order will be despatched as soon as possible.
- Local release date: 05/10/2017
- Format: Paperback (210mm X 275mm) 152 pages Weight: 440g
- Categories: Popular astronomy & space [WNX]Space (Children's / Teenage) [YNTS]Australia [1MBF]
This annual gem (produced each year since 1991) continues to take the Australian stargazer on a wondrous journey of the night sky. This critically acclaimed work, produced by three well known experts in the field, takes a unique approach to explaining and identifying the Sun, Moon, planets and constellations; it is simply the best publication of its type in the world.
Quasar Publishing consists of the three authors of the yearbooks: Glenn Dawes, Peter Northfield and Ken Wallace (Glenn and Ken in Sydney and Peter, in more recent years, based in Echuca, Vic). Prior to this venture we had no experience with self-publishing (also, during this experience we are pleased we still have our full time day jobs!). Our backgrounds stem from a long love affair with the night sky dating back to the 70s, 60s... (Well as long as we can remember).
This amateur interest lead to us becoming long term members of the Astronomical Society of NSW (ASNSW). This association not only fostered our interest in all aspects of amateur astronomy but lead to developing our skills in communicating through the various public field nights and the societys publications (we also developed talents in brick laying, cement mixing and metal working but thats another story). This experience with the general public, and the exploring of their needs, formed the platform on which the yearbook concept emerged in the late 80s.
Our first yearbook was produced for 1991 and we have produced the book every year since. The 1991 venture was somewhat primitive, and looks nothing like our recent attempts. The book has evolved (the word experiment comes to mind) over the years and a lot of its current features can be attributed to the kind feedback from many of our supporters. This includes not only fellow amateurs but also educators and numerous members of the public.
• Written by Australians for Australians • This yearbook has been designed for anyone who looks at the night sky whether they are using just their eyes, a pair of binoculars or a telescope • There is something for everyone from the basic novice up to the advanced amateur astronomer • This includes those with a casual interest who might just want to know, "what is that bright star next to the Moon?"
- Google Preview content