- Five decades on from its release at the height of the Summer of Love in 1967, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band remains a keystone not just of the Beatles' career but also of popular music as a whole. Widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time, it is a record soaked in, and thrillingly evocative of, the sights, sounds, and mood of the sixties at their most joyously psychedelic. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a distillation of all of these ideas and more: an art-pop masterwork housed in a gatefold pop art masterpiece by collage artists Peter Blake and Jann Haworth. Organized into four clearly defined thematic chapters, Sgt Pepper at Fifty brings a new perspective to the album by looking in depth at the unique cultural circumstances that led to its creation ("the Mood"); examining the rich assemblage of influences that informed its sound ("the Sound"); exploring the landmark cover art, which is still the subject of debate and intrigue today ("the Look"); and assessing the record's enduring legacy as the pinnacle of British pop ("the Legacy").
- As a music journalist, Bill DeMain has written for publications including MOJO, Classic Rock, and Performing Songwriter. He’s also contributed to several books, including The Beatles: Ten Years That Shook the World, The History of Rock.
Mike McInnerney studied graphic design at the London College of Printing, leaving college in 1966 to take up the post of Art Editor at the counterculture newspaper International Times. McInnerney moved from counterculture to mainstream graphics in 1969 with the album cover artwork for Tommy, the rock opera by The Who. His work is held in collections at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Theatre Museum, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum and numerous private collections.
Gillian G. Gaar is the author of She’s A Rebel: The history of Women in Rock & Roll; The Rough Guide to Nirvana; Return of The King: Elvis Presley’s Great Comeback and more. Gillian has written liner notes for releases by Nirvana, Laurie Anderson and Heart, among others. She has also written for Mojo, Rolling Stone and Record Collector.
- • Fifty year anniversary of Sgt Peppers in June 2017
• 50th anniversary deluxe edition of Sgt Pepper includes nearly three dozen previously unreleased recordings from the same sessions
• New edition also includes intro from Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney
• Liverpool is holding a month long celebration of the album, featuring 13 different events in Liverpool pegged to the 13 different songs on the album
• Explores not only the look, the sound, and the mood, but also the legacy it left behind
Google Preview content