Secrets of Churchill's War Rooms
- ISBN-13: 9781904897491
- Publisher/Imprint: UNICORN PRESS
- Author: Asbury, Jonathan
- Price: AUD 64.99
- Stock: 0 in stock
- Availability: This book is temporarily out of stock, order will be despatched as soon as fresh stock is received.
- Local release date: 29/05/2018
- Format: Hardback (310mm X 260mm) 192 pages Weight: 1060g
- Categories: Military history [HBW]Second World War [HBWQ]Political leaders & leadership [JPHL]Gift books [WZG]
On May 10, 1940, Britain’s new prime minister strode purposefully down to the basement of an anonymous government building and entered a top secret command center. “This,” growled Winston Churchill, “is the room from which I will run the war.”
At the war’s end, Churchill and his colleagues left the chamber and locked the door behind them—and the War Rooms remained there, untouched and little known, until the early 1980s. Today, those historic chambers are on display as the Churchill War Rooms exhibit. With Secrets of Churchill’s War Rooms, you can go behind the glass partitions that separate the War Rooms from the visiting public, closer than ever before to where Churchill not only ran the war—but won it. This magnificent volume offers up-close photography of details in every room and provides access to sights unavailable on a simple tour of Churchill War Rooms. These are views that few people in the world have ever seen. Go behind closed doors to sit at Churchill’s desk, open up long-abandoned drawers and sift through seventy-year-old papers. See the anxious scratches on the arms of Sir Winston’s chair, pick up the phone that he used to speak to the president of the United States, and examine the map that loomed over his bed as he took his famous afternoon naps.
Jonathan Asbury is the author of the official Churchill War Rooms guidebook, as well as guidebooks for HMS Belfast, IWM London, IWM North and IWM Duxford. He is a graduate of Churchill College, Cambridge - founded in honour of the wartime Prime Minister - and has enjoyed a life-long fascination with the way that the Second World War was won.
The Threat and Shock of War- July 1936 to May 1940
The Darkest Days- May 1940 to May 1941
The Tide Turns- June 1941 to December 1943
The Final Push- January 1944 to August 1945
Preserving Churchill’s War Rooms
- Including more than three hundred detailed images and firsthand memories of Churchill as a leader, boss, father, husband, and a man.
- Secrets of Churchill’s War Rooms tells the fascinating story of the work carried out in these underground offices.
- These are sights you cant experience on a tour of Churchill War Rooms; they are views that few people in the world have ever seen. But now you can walk where Churchill walked, and see what Churchill saw.
- Now you can discover the Secrets of Churchills War Rooms.
- Google Preview content