Numeracy and Clinical Calculations for Nurses is a user-friendly introduction for student nurses that guides you from the basics to the core calculations required in a healthcare setting. It is regularly the bestselling numeracy book for student nurses.
The second edition of Numeracy and Clinical Calculations for Nurses features even more worked examples and practice tests, all designed to increase your confidence and competence in calculating drug dosages and performing other important clinical calculations – a critical issue in improving patient safety.
• Diagnostic test to assess your existing skills and knowledge.
• Back to basics chapter uses a step-by-step approach to ensure understanding – tested by nursing lecturers and their students.
• Self-assessment tests throughout each chapter enable you to monitor your progress.
• Extensive worked examples use authentic scenarios to set learning in context.
• Summary tests provide practice for numeracy exams.
Covers drug dosages and other clinical calculations such as pressure ulcer risk assessment tools, National Early Warning Score, hydration and fluid balance, Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool, BMI and ideal body weight.
Answers provided for all tests.
The book also features:
• Error alerts pointing out common errors and why they are sometimes made. • Sense checks to help you avoid fundamental errors. • Tips to help with calculations and relate them to clinical practice. • Appendices covering safe administration of medicine, routes of administration, medication administration records, drug glossary, a handy multiplication grid and simple conversion tables.
About the author; Preface to the second edition; Acknowledgements; How to use this book
1. Numeracy and calculation skills in the clinical environment; 2. Back to basics; 3. The SI system; 4. Calculating drug doses; 5. Other clinical calculations; 6. Self-assessment tests
Appendices 1. Administering medicines safely; 2. Routes of administration; 3. Medication administration records; 4. Drug glossary; 5. Multiplication grid; 6 Conversion tables
Answers to self-assessment tests; References