There are so many incredible walks in Australia but how do you know which are the best ones? Our free time is precious and few people have the time to survey a range of walks – it can years to find a handful of good ones. Over 150 issues and 33 years Australian Geographic has explored Australian landscapes. Our editors, writers and photographers have the energy, expertise and contacts to know where all the most exciting and exhilarating walks are to be found. In this much anticipated book, we reveal our best 100 with detailed descriptions and stunning photography to inspire both walkers and armchair travellers. The Australian Geographic guide to Australia’s Best 100 Walks will have walkers itching to lace their boots up with this showcase of the sheer beauty and diversity of our landscapes and wildlife. With this book, walkers can set out knowing they’re going to have an incredible day outdoors. A great walk can be an exhilarating experience that will stay with you forever. Perhaps you’re stirred by endless mountain views or soothed by stepping into a living green cathedral. Maybe the challenge drives you harder and farther than you thought possible. Sometimes you’ll find yourself in the presence of a rare creature and feel a jolt of connection. There’s always magic to be found when walking but the very best walks will do all of these things. Fortunately, Australia is full of extraordinary walks – here’s our collection of the best to be found in every corner of this country.
Katrina O’Brien is the author of Australia’s bestselling walking guide, Sydney’s Best Harbour & Coastal Walks. She first discovered many of the country’s best walks while travelling and writing her way around Australia for two years as the co-author of the travel guides Footprint Australia Handbook and Footprint West Coast Handbook. The author of Australian Geographic travel guides, The Red Centre, The Kimberley and Tasmania, Katrina is now an editor for Australian Geographic. For Australia’s Best 100 Walks she has selected the very best walks from the magazine’s rich archive of stories and photography and researched all the latest and greatest walks in every corner of the country.
* The only book like this on the market, with a focus on inspiration rather than directions.
* Practical tips to help you start planning your own adventures.
* The ideal gift for nature-lovers, hikers, tourists and travellers
* Highlight each walk’s very best bits—from specific points of historical interest to incredible views on the route.
* Explore each walk’s cultural and geographical splendour.
* List the key details about each walk: how long, how far, how strenuous.
* Help you plan your own bucket list of walks.
* Walks selected by Australian Geographic editors to help keen walkers to plan their next adventure.
* Stunning inspirational photography plus location maps for selected walks.
* Features 100 walks evenly divided by state.
* A variety of short walks, half day walks and longer walks.
* Advertising on Australian Geographic print and digital platforms.