Share a trip down memory lane with The Coodabeen Champions in this celebration of 40 years of broadcasting with stories and photos from a truly unique Australian entertainment institution. Follow the much-loved show from its creation in 1981 and see the evolution from community radio to national success on the ABC. From performing at pubs, clubs and concert halls to the story behind their appearance at the MCG on Grand Final Day, discover the Coodabeens songs, sayings and ‘talkback’ characters which have become part of Australian language and culture. Featuring highlights from their favourite segments including Covey’s Quiz, Guru Bob, Greg’s songs, bush footy stories, Torch’s Footy Talkback and Sam the Sub. Coodabeen Champions is the best thing available to lift spirits, lighten the mood, raise a chuckle and generally make you feel better – just as their radio show has done.
The Coodabeen Champions are the legendary presenters of the ever-popular Australian Rules Football show on ABC radio. The members are Jeff Richardson, Simon Whelan, Greg Champion, Ian Cover, Billy Baxter, ‘Torch’ McGee and Andy Bellairs. Formed in 1981 on 3RRR, The Coodabeen Champions are now broadcast on 774 ABC Melbourne, ABC Victoria, ABC Tasmania and heard around the world on the ABC Listen App.
* Book commemorating the 40th anniversary of the popular Australian Rules Football (AFL) radio show.
* Full Colour throughout, the book charts the creation of the show and how it evolved from a community radio show to national success on the ABC.
* The Coodabeen Champions appeal to a wide breadth of followers from audiences in pubs, clubs and concert halls to appearing twice at the MCG on Grand Final Day.
* The Coodabeen Champions were inducted into the MCG Media Hall of Fame in 2003, showing their level of popularity and impact.
* The cover features a custom illustration from AFL caricatursit Paul Harv Harvey with illustrations throughout in addition to archival photos and scans of memorabilia.
* The book will be promoted on The Coodabeen Champions radio show on 774 ABC Melbourne, ABC Victoria, ABC Tasmania and as a podcast on the ABC Listen App.
* Promotion through the Coodabeens Facebook page with over 6,000 followers and the Coodabeens Twitter page with over 7500 followers.
* Media coverage including the ABC, SBS, The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.
* Interview with Eddie Macguire Triple M – Oct 1 to promote release date.
* SEN Andy Mahr – interview tomorrow 18th Sept 3-6pm.
* Front Bar – Andy Mahr will hold the book up and promote next week.
* Fox Footy – Brad Smith has agreed to promote book on his show – keep you posted on date.
* RSN Sport – Adam has agreed to an interview – date to be decided.
* Interview on 3AW breakfast closer to the date of release (probably w/c 21/9). They’re talking 6.35 on a Tuesday or a Thursday morning which is an eight-minute spot (the longest interviews they do).
* The Coodabeen’s team continue to promote the book on their sat morning show.